Semi Annual Meeting – October 2016

UNIVERSITY SQUARE HOMEOWNERS’ ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF OCTOBER 5, 2016 SEMI-ANNUAL MEETING
Fairfax Villa Elementary School

Meeting called to order 8:00 P.M. in the cafeteria of Fairfax Villa Elementary. Present from the Board were Peter McClintock, Oscar Merida, P.J. Kennedy, Christine Taylor, and Heather Goltry. Thirteen people in attendance. Meeting adjourned at 8:40 PM.

1. Treasurer's Report

As of 10/4:

  • Checking Acct $66,600
  • Money Market $32,980
  • CD's $20,100

Total Funds $119,680

Total Dues Collected: $30,400 approximately 54% of total annual dues of 56,100.

59 properties have not paid half of 2017 dues. Will monitor and send reminders out. Three properties have other delinquencies. One property is 4 years delinquent, has not made a payment plan arrangements and will be refered to our lawyer for collections.

2. EARC Report

None are present.

3. Neighborhood Watch

National Night out was a success. May adjust amount of food, drink for next year.

A house in Fairfax Villa reported that they had a break in to a screened in porch and stereo equipment was stolen.

4. Amending HoA Declaration Status

Process is on hold until new board is in place to keep the process moving. The board might consider finding a new law firm to help in this process.

5. Board Election

22 Votes for the election of Heather Goltry and Justing Ginsberg. There are two vacancies on the board for anyone interested in joining.

6. EAGR Property Inspections and Compliance

Coordinating with EARC to schedule a sidewalk inspection of homes in the neighborhood. Peter will email Matthew Jaquith to coordinate starting the inspections.

7. Snow Removal

A question from the floor concerning snow removal and how we can influence snow removal during storms. Board will investigate if there's a point of contact at VDOT to raise complaints.

8. Community Communications

Discussion of having a list where members could communicate easily to hire kids to mow their lawns, remove snow in the winter, etc. Board will encourage members to join our facebook group as a medium or nextdoor.com.

Board Meeting – August 2016 Minutes

University Square – Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Call to Order

At 7:36PM, Peter McClintock, President, called the meeting to order and reviewed the agenda. Board Members present were:

  • Peter McClintock, President
  • Oscar Merida, Secretary
  • P.J. Kennedy, Treasurer
  • Justin Ginsberg, member
  • Christine Taylor, member
  • Heather Goltry, member

Approval of March 2 2016 Semi annual homeowners meeting Minutes

The board approved the March 2, 2016 minutes. They are posted to the association website.

Treasure’s Report:

Balances as of August 7, 2016:

  • Checking $37,025
  • Money Market $32,980
  • CD's $20,100

Total Funds $90,105

Total Dues Collected ~$51,200 which is approximately 95% of total annual dues of $53,625. Eleven(11) properties have note paid 2016 dues completely.

Setting Dues for 2017

Board approved dues increase $340 annually from the current $325/year. This represents an increase of 4.62%.

EARC Report

None.

Board Member Vacancies

Board discussed the vacancy due to Peter McClintocks's upcoming move out of the neighborhood and the need to find new members to join the board. Ballots will be prepared for elections at the Semi-annual meeting in October.

Web Site Announcement of Meetings

Oscar to make updates per Peter's email.

Changing the Declaration

On hold pending election of new President and Board Members.

Tree Removal

Board had two trees behind 10821 Verde Vista Drive removed. J.L. Tree service also assessed pine trees in common areas and removed 10 pine trees between 10807 and 10821 Verde Vista Drive.

Diane Wood from Property Watch, a Private Property Management which manages 10819 Verde Vista Drive, contacted the board in reference to a large dead tree asking if the board will have the tree removed. We can't determine if the tree is on common property or on the owner's property. Board decided to offer to split the cost of trimming the tree unless they can show that it is wholly on HOA property.

Peter will look at a dead tree between Lot 1 and drainage pond on University Drive to see if it should be removed or trimmed.

National Night Out

HoA organized National Night Out on Tuesday, August 2, 2016. Approximate cost was $200 for hot dogs, water, chips, and popsicles. Approximately 100 people attended. The police helicopter flew over the event and local police officers were also in attendance.

Agenda Items for October 5 Annual Meeting

Items to be discussed at the next homeowners meeting

  1. Board Member elections
  2. External Architecture Guidelines and Regulations (EAGR) Property Inspections and Compliance Assessments

ERAC issues

Board will ask ERAC to conduct compliance assessments of all lots by October of this year.

It was brought to the Board's attention that home improvements have been started without prior approval from ERAC. Board will send out a reminder to members that any work to be done must be submitted for approval 30 days in advance.

The meeting ended at 8:45pm.

Semi Annual Meeting – March 2016

UNIVERSITY SQUARE HOMEONERS’ ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF March 2, 2016 SEMI-ANNUAL MEETING Fairfax Villa Elementary School

Meeting called to order 7:35pm in the cafeteria of Fairfax Villa Elementary. Present from the Board were Peter McClintock, Andrew Pershing, Oscar Merida, Christine Stora, and Heather Goltry.

1. Officer Wayne Twombly, FCPD

Officer Twombly addressed the role of the neighborhood watch and the anonymous letters sent to some members. He recommended members use the NextDoor app to stay in communication with the police department. For contacting them, the non-emergency number for the PD is 703-691-2131.

Concerning the anonymous letters sent to neighbors, he emphasized that if there is a direct threat made then a police report should be made so that it can be investigated.

One service he provides is home security screenings where he reviews a home and makes recommendations to improve the security of the building.

2. Treasurer’s Report

Four properties are more than one year in arrears. Board has contacted the attorney to explore how to collect from some homes that are past due.

3. Changing the Declaration

Attorney’s reviewed board declaration in 2015 and advised the board to update the declaration in light of changes in the law since the HOA was founded. Any change to the declaration or articles of incorporation must be approved by 75% of the owners. Bylaws can be changed by a majority of votes at a board meeting.

There are 2 sections with two different declarations:

  • Section one – 60 lots
  • Section two – 105 lots

The recommendation is to update both the Articles of Incorporation and Declaration. The Board should develop a strategy for how to proceed, submit proposed changes, and collect input from the owners. The Board should consider whether a complete rewrite (estimated at $15k) or just amending the current documents ($1500–3000).

Action: The Board will explore how to update the documents and how to proceed.

4. Neighborhood Concerns

Construction halted on Lot 133. Concerns that the work will not be completed and construction debris is visible.

EARC will be inspecting homes in the Spring to make sure homes are in compliance with our guidelines.

Board Meeting – February 2016 Minutes

University Square Homeowners Association (USHA)

Fairfax Villa School –February 3, 2016

Call to Order

At 8:00PM, Peter McClintock, President, called the meeting to order and reviewed the agenda. Board Members present were:

  • Peter McClintock, President
  • PJ Kennedy, Treasurer
  • Justin Ginsberg, member
  • Christine Taylor, member

Treasure’s Report:

  • Checking Account: $60,160
  • Money Market: $32,970
  • CDs: $20,100 (reserve for Common Property Tree Removal)
  • Total Funds: $113,330
  • Total Dues collected – current year – $43,600  (approx. 81%)
  • 3 lots behind less than 1 year
  • 3 lots behind more than 1 year

Approval of November Minutes

The board approved the 11/4/2015 minutes.

EARC Report

None

Delinquent Dues Collection

The 3 lots behind in dues less than 1 year are being contacted once again.  Of the 3 lots delinquent more than 1 year, 1 has almost paid his debt (about 20% remaining and he has been a steady payer recently), 1 submitted another check to replace a check that bounced – awaiting clearance from bank to decide if more action is needed), and 1 is seriously delinquent and while he said he was going to pay down his debt, we only received 1 payment over 1 year ago.  The Board decided this latter lot will be sent for collection.  The homeowner has not responded to certified letters requesting payment.  The homeowner will bear the cost of collection, in addition to the dues owed.

Neighborhood Watch and USHA Facebook Page

Board member Christine Taylor agreed to be USHA’s Neighborhood Watch contact and the “administrator” of the USHA Facebook page.

Upcoming Semi- annual Meeting in March

The meeting is scheduled for March 2 at the Fairfax Villa School at 7:30pm.  Items for the agenda are:

  • Status of changing the deed Declaration for all University Square
  • Fairfax County Police Crime Prevention Officer Twombly to speak on Anonymous letters and Neighborhood Watch.

The meeting ended at 8:45pm.

 

Board Meeting – November 2015

University Square Homeowners Association (USHA)

Fairfax Villa School November 4, 2015 General Meeting Minutes

Call to Order

At 8:00PM, Peter McClintock, President, called the meeting to order and reviewed the agenda. Board Members present were:

  • Peter McClintock, President
  • PJ Kennedy, Treasurer
  • Oscar Merida, member
  • Christine Taylor, member

Treasure’s Report

  • Checking Account: $66,400
  • Money Market: $33,000
  • CDs: $20,100 (reserve for Common Property Tree Removal)
  • Total Funds: $119,500
  • Total Dues Collected: Approximately $38,300 (71.5%)x
  • Three letters to be sent to home’s that are delinquent on dues
  • Two Emails to be sent to homeowners that are past due.

Election of Officers

Oscar Merida was elected to serve as Secretary due to resignation of previous secretary.

Approval of Board Members

Heather Goltry voted and approved as seventh board member. Matt Jaquith was approved as new chair of the EARC, with Cassandra Jaquith to serve as an alternate when he is not available.

Upcoming Meetings

Board decided to schedule upcoming meetings for the first Wednesdays of February, May, and September. We will also hold our semi-annual meetings in March and October of 2016.

External Architectural Review Committee (EARC) Report:

The Board reviewed and approved the changes to the EAG&R for roof lines.  The wording approved is:

Roofs of new structures and additions must be architecturally compatible with the existing roof including pitch, such that the roof does not exceed the original peak of the roof.   There are 2 exceptions that allow the new roof to exceed the original peak of the roof:  1) If the roof is an extension of the present roof line, or on the same plane as the original roof line but offset by a foot or two, the roof may extend up to 4 feet beyond the original peak on the street side of the roof.   See the house at 4308 Bellavia for the exception.  However, no addition to the back side of a house can have a roof that exceeds the original peak of the roof.   2) If the roof will be perpendicular to the original roof line (such as with a split level home where the upper floor roof line is perpendicular to the lower floor roof line) the new addition roof, which will exceed the height of the original roof, must tie into the original roof in the same manner that the split level roofs tie in.   In other words, the new addition eave portion of the roof must be lower than the original roof peak at their intersection and the 2 roofs must tie in through the use of shingles.  In all cases, the color must match that of the original roof and the shingles must be the same.

The board also approved allowing alternate hand delivery of the results of a Board appeal to the homeowner as long as the deliverer obtains in-person with a  signature upon receipt for the Board EARC communications to homeowners.

The Board approved changes to the EARC Charter. Changes included:

  • If an application for property modifications includes an item not addressed in  the EAG&R, the EARC will refer the application to the President of USHA for a determination on whether the modification should be disapproved, and if so the applicant may file an appeal to the board.
  • Allowing alternate delivery in-person with signature upon receipt for EARC communications to homeowners.
  • Requiring EARC to survey homes once a year for violation.

Worker’s Compensation

Association Lawyer insurance agent  confirmed that we do not need to purchase Worker’s Compensation.

Anonymous Letters

The Board was made aware that at least one individual in the neighborhood is sending anonymous letters to other homeowners and also claiming to be on the board. The Board will send a letter to the all homeowners to clarify that someone is impersonating the board and to remind everyone of the proper channels for communicating concerns and issues to the Board.

Also, MPO R. Wayne Twombly, a Crime Prevention Officer in the Fair Oaks District, will attend our March community meeting where we will discuss this issue further.

Upcoming Meetings

The Board will meet again on the dates listed below. We will also hold our semi-annual meetings, as usual, in March and October

  • Board Meeting – Feb 3th, 2016 at 8pm
  • Semi-annual Homeowners meeting – March 2, 2016 at 7:30pm
  • Board Meeting – September 7th, 2016 at 8pm
  • Semi-annual Homeowners meeting – October 5, 2016 at 7:30pm

All meeting take place at the Fairfax Villa Elementary School Library and are open to all members.

ERAC Appeal Minutes

University Square Homeowners Association (USHA)
September 30, 2015 EARC Disapproval Appeal Hearing

Fairfax Villa School – 7:30 pm Minutes:

Mr. and Mrs. Walker had submitted plans for an addition to their house located at 4400 Bellavia Lane. EARC had disapproved the plans as they were not in accord with the EAG&R- Section 2 – “Roofs of new structures and additions must be architecturally compatible with the existing roof including pitch such that the addition does not exceed the height of the original.”

The roof line showed that it will be higher than the roof line of the original roof.

Mr. and Mrs. Walker were asked to discuss the basis for their appeal and any options to comply with Section 2 of the EAG&R. They were offered to bring their builder to the meeting.

Board members in attendance were:

  • Peter McCintock, President
  • PJ Kennedy, Treasurer
  • Oscar Merida
  • Justine Ginsberg
  • Christine Taylor

EARC members in attendance were:

  • Patrick Tomlinson
  • Dennis Makurat

The appeal process, located under the Application Process and Procedures, in the EAG&R was provided to board members and the Walkers.

The Walkers stated that due to offsets in their back yard and the style of house, the builder’s plans, which showed the roof line exceeding the original roof line, was about the only feasible way to add onto their house.

When the Walkers left the meeting, the board discussed the appeal. The main concern was that if the board approved the plan, that the board would amend the EAG&R on roof lines to allow similar additions. The board voted 4 to 1 to allow the Walker’s plan, subject to the following, which was provided to them in both an e-mail and a hand delivered letter:

“The Board has approved your application for an addition, based on the document you provided to the Board at the Appeal Hearing, which showed, among other things, that the new roof will tie into the existing roof with the use of matching shingles. The eave of the new roof must not exceed the peak of the original roof. The Board will be amending the External Architectural Guidelines and Restrictions to reflect a change in roof line restrictions. Please be mindful of the new roof line restriction in this communication when proceeding with the addition.”

October 2015 Minutes

University Square Homeowners Association (USHA)
October 7, 2015 General Meeting Notes
Fairfax Villa School

Minutes:

Call to Order (8:00PM):

At 8:00PM, Peter McClintock, President, called the meeting to order and reviewed the agenda. It was noted that 19 owners were present, representing 19 lots, representing a quorum. Board Members present were:

  • Peter McClintock, President
  • Drew Pershing, Vice President
  • PJ Kennedy, Treasurer
  • Caitlin Kaprove, Secretary
  • Oscar Merida, member
  • Christine Taylor, member

Treasurer’s Report:

  • Checking Account: $58,000
  • Money Market: $33,000
  • CDs: $20,100 (reserve for Common Property Tree Removal)
  • Total Funds: $111,100
  • Total Dues Collected: Approximately $29,000
  • 48 properties have not yet made this year’s payment, although not yet overdue.
  • Four lots are the only remaining lots that have been delinquent for more than one year.

External Archetictural Review Committee (EARC) Report:

Patrick Tomlinson will soon be stepping down as EARC Chair.

Some applications for consideration have been coming in to the EARC.

Question: “Are concrete driveways permitted?”
Pete responded that he had reviewed the prior records and didn’t see anything that prohibited concrete driveways in either the 2007 or 2015 External Architectural Guidelines and Restrictions (EAG&R).

Question: “I have some concerns about the EARC committee’s use of its authority. I have heard that the EARC committee blocked the sale of a house in our neighborhood.”
Patrick responded that the EARC had raised the issue in question as a violation, but did not block the sale of the home. Patrick added that the EARC had asked for a small concession in design to bring the addition in line with EARC guidelines.

EARC member Patricia Garcia gave comments on the complexities of EARC work and the care with which EARC committee members exercise their duties.

Comment: “When I was on the EARC committee (note – that was in the early formation stages of the USHA in the mid-1980’s), we would pull together proposed changes, etc., for a community vote. I suggest ERAC do this.”
Peter noted that the By-Laws now give authority to amend the EAG&R to the Board of Directors.

Neighborhood Watch:

Nita Chapuran kindly volunteered to be an administrative point of contact for the relationship between USHA and the Fairfax County Neighborhood Watch program, but noted that she would not be interested in attending numerous meetings and hosting large events, such as National Night Out. She agreed to contact the County and submit her name as the contact and if it involves meetings etc, she would so report that to the Board.

Election of Board Members

Patrick and Peter were re-elected to the Board.

  • Total votes submitted – 30
  • (Votes that were cast by the secretary as a proxy – 6)
  • Patrick “PJ” Kennedy (Lot 21) – 28
  • Peter McClintock (Lot 70) – 29
  • One write in for “Peter McClintock” – counted toward his general votes

Consultations with Attorney:

Based on Attorney recommendations, the Board recently amended EAG&R, effective September 1, 2015 (including changes to deck material provisions, provisions on business signs, provisions on treating wood fences, provisions on colors for decks and trims, addition of provision on broken shingles, etc. – see prior minutes)

Amended disclosure notice based on attorney recommendations.

Proposed amendment to the bylaws – deletion of sentence in Article XI  (“also, a delinquency fee of $30 shall be assessed at each billing period if the account is unpaid after 30 days”. Amendement was passed unanimously by those present.

Question: “Do we necessarily want to publicize the possible limitation on the Board’s ability to enforce monetary fee against owners who violate ERAC guidelines?” led to a discussion of the USHA Declaration.

Discussion of amending the USHA declaration. The attorney also recommended reissuing the Declaration to update it, provide clearer authority to enforce the EAG&R by authorizing the assessment of fees for violations, and eliminate discrepancies between the interest rates contained in the 2 versions of the Declaration that exist for the association. This will take agreement by 75% of the owners. Most attendees were in favor of this.

From The Floor:

Common property – our two CDs in the bank are now considered reserve funds for tree removal.

Caitlin Kaprove tendered her resignation as secretary of the USHA Board, and encouraged others to take up the position, which carries a Board vote.

Patricia Garcia noted that she had received an anonymous, intimidating letter, likely from a neighbor, relating to placing lawn trimmings at the curb side. She said we should be respectful of our neighbors and an anonymous letter was not respectful.

Next General Meeting:

March 2016