News

Board Meeting – July 2013

 

 

University Square Homeowners Association

Board Meeting

http://universitysquareha.com

Face book: University Square Homeowners Association

July 2, 2013 at the home of Chairperson Frank Ruth

 

Call to Order 8:04 pm

 

Treasurer’s Report:  

·               We are in good financial shape, but still have a few houses in arrears which will be referred to a collection agency if payment is not made     

·               Total funds  $85,360. 00

 

EARC:

·      One home applied to change siding

 

Old Business:

·      We are in need of a new Secretary

·      EARC is being looked at for updating

 

New Business:

·      Common area clean up north of Santa Clara Drive

 

Neighborhood Watch:

·      7th annual National Night Out will be Tuesday Aug 6 starting at 6:00pm

 

FYI:

·      No Board meeting next month due to National Night Out. However, Treasurer Kennedy will email important information about the October meeting that the board will have to comment on

 

·      Next meeting will be Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013 at 8:00pm

 

Adjourned: 9:02pm

Board members present:

·      President                        Frank Ruth (10/13)                                    703-273-7641

·      Treasurer                        PJ Kennedy            (10/15)                        703-359-4174

·      Secretary                        Cheryl Lewis (10/13)                        703-385-1041

·      Member                        Jen Weigel (10/13)                                    703-309-7446

·      Member                        Ray Tolbert (10/15)                                    703-272-3450

·      Member                        Justin Ginsberg  (10/15)                      

 

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Lewis

HOA Secretary

7/7/13 

Board Meeting – March 2013

 

               UNIVERSITY   SQUARE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

 General Meeting

Wednesday March 6, 2013 8:00 p.m.

10801 Santa Clara Drive

 (Villa School is closed to organizations for a year)

http://universitysquareha.com

Face book: University Square Homeowners Association

 

CALL TO ORDER 8:00

 

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING accepted

                                                                       

OPENING-INTRO TO BOARD:

 

Frank Ruth-President—703-273-7641                              ERAC:  Patrick Tomlinson-703-610-17610                                                                          Andrew Pershing-VP -703-216-0497                                                Sharon Ruth-703-273-7641        

P.J. Kennedy – Treasurer- 703-359-4174                                        Dennis Makurat-703-383-0233 Cheryl Lewis- Secretary – 703-385-2725

Justin Ginsberg – member

Jen Weigel- member-703-309-7446

Ray Tolbert- member- 571-288-6974

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:

·      Total funds: $89.933

·      Six properties have not made a payment.  One property is in arrears for two years, one property in arrears $1446.00. The Treasurer will make one more attempt at collections, and then be forced to initiate legal action if the account is not made whole

 

EARC REPORT:

·      One house did not have proper approval for modification. They have been officially notified of violation, process is moving forward

·      One permit for addition to add a bedroom, bath and wet bar in back of house, but not to be turned into a rental space

 

NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH:

·      PLEASE keep GPS’s, EZ Passes and other valuables out of your car, and lock your car to avoid break ins, or theft

·      All are invited to the Citizens Advisory Committee meetings at the Fair Oaks police station last Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm. Lunches are served once a month, and all are invited, including children. Big meeting in June will be at the heliport, dinner potluck. EVERYONE invited!

·      A unanimous vote was taken to keep National Night Out on Belavia Ln., and only our neighborhood

·      We are looking for live music, and can pay for the service. Please contact Cheryl Lewis if you have a band you can recommend

 

OLD BUSINESS:

·      GMU/VDOT/ FC Board of Supervisors – Braddock /Ox Road Campus Bypass.

·      Association’s Web Site and News Letter-http://universitysquareha.com for all information about University Square Homeowners Association

 

NEW BUSINESS:

·      No dues increase necessary at this time

·       Permit Parking University Drive  -Installed 

·      Get EARC Permits for any outside modification before work commences

·      No Commercial Businesses on HOA Properties. (R-4 Zoned and EARC restrictions)

·      CLEAN SIDING on houses.  Put trash cans, bicycles/toys AWAY in garage or behind house

·       Deer/tick/Lyme Disease control efforts by Fairfax County; deer population has been thinned

 

Meeting adjourned 9:00pm

 

 

NEXT GENERAL MEETINGOctober 2, 2013

 

 

                                                       

Board Meeting – January 2013

 

University Square Homeowners Association

Monthly Meeting Notes

http://universitysquareha.com

Face book: University Square Homeowners Association

Board Meeting

January 2, 2013

 

 

 

Call to Order 8:03pm

 

Treasurer Report:

17 homes have not paid dues; 87 have paid in full; 60 have paid 1/2.

We have about $95,000.00 in the bank.

Trash collection is $600.00 less this year due to a newly negotiated contract.

 

EARC Report:

1. No new approvals pending

2.  We will send out notices to remind homeowners to clean up the out side of their property, especially to clean the sides of their houses. It is an eye soar, and devalues the look of the neighborhood.

 

New Business:

1.     President Ruth will attend groundbreaking of Braddock/Ox Rd Campus bypass.

2.     The posted permit parking petition meeting will be held on Tuesday January 8, 2013. President Ruth and Secretary Lewis will attend and get a clarification on the intent of the parking permit area.

3.     Thank you homeowners for brightening up the neighborhood with beautiful holiday lights and decorations.

4.     We are still looking for a Secretary.

 

 

Adjournment: 8:20pm

 

BOARD MEMBERS Present:

President                        Frank Ruth (10/13)                                     703-273-7641

Treasurer                        PJ Kennedy (10/16)                                    703-359-4174

Secretary                        Cheryl Lewis (10/13)                                   703-385-1041

Member                        Ray Tolbert (10/16)                                      703-272-3450

Member                        Justin Ginsberg (10/13)

 

 

Board Meeting – July 2012

 

 

University Square Homeowners Association

Board Meeting

http://universitysquareha.com

Face book: University Square Homeowners Association

July 11, 2012   the home of President Frank Ruth

 

Call to Order 8:10 pm

Treasurer’s Report:  

  • We are in good financial shape, but still have a few houses in arrears     
  • We have $74,300. 00 In SunTrust
  • Treasurer will remain on board, but will not continue as Treasurer effective October 2012

EARC:

Nothing to report

 

Old Business:

  • We are in need of a new Treasurer and Secretary by the October. The board is hoping that some young family members who have a lot vested in the neighborhood, will take these positions over

 

New Business:

  • Dues will not be raised
  • A new 5 year AAA trash company contract has been signed
  • Formal complaint procedure will be added to the USHOA documents as required by VA Code 55-530
  •  

Neighborhood Watch:

  • 6th annual National Night Out will be Tuesday Aug 7 starting at 6:00pm; combined with Villa

We need help with National Night Out

Can helicopter land at the soccer fields?

 

No Board meeting next month due to NNO. Next will be Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012 at the Villa Elementary at 8:00

Adjourned: 8:44pm

Board members present:

  • President                        Frank Ruth (10/13)                                    703-273-7641
  • Vice President                 Andrew Pershing (10-13)                             703 216-0497
  • Treasurer                        Dennis Makurat (10/12)                              703-383-0233
  • Secretary                        Cheryl Lewis (10/13)                                  703-385-1041
  • Member                          Jen Weigel (10/13)                                    703-309-7446
  • Member                          Ray Tolbert (10/12)                                    703-272-3450

Absent:

  • Member                          Justin Ginsberg  (10/12)                     
  • ERAC                              Patrick Tomlinson                                    703-615-0176

 

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Lewis

Cheryl Lewis

7/12/12 

Board Minutes – February 2012

 

 

University Square Homeowners Association

Board Meeting

http://universitysquareha.com

Face book: University Square Homeowners Association

February 1, 2012   The Villa Elementary School

 

Call to Order 8:07 pm

 

Minutes of last meeting accepted

 

EARC:

  • One house to make an addition. There will be friendly reminders handed out this spring to residents that are not in compliance with the Architectural Guidelines of USHOA.  The number of houses with siding covered with green encrustation will be a major thrust.

Treasurer’s Report:  

  • We are in good financial shape, but still have 4 houses in arrears.      
  • Dues notices will be sent next week. Treasurer would like help in stuffing envelopes.

Old Business

  • GMU will connect Braddock Road west of Ox Road to the main campus at Patriot Circle. Road will go under Ox Road just south of the Field House
  • The Board investigated having a group reduces the deer that are plaguing homes on University Drive. The spread of Lyme disease was a factor. It will be considered again next fall.

New Business

  •  University Drive residents need to consider parking problems with GMU students’
  • We will need of a new Treasurer and Secretary by the October. The board is hoping that some young family members who have a lot vested in the neighborhood, will take these positions over
  • General membership meeting next month, Wednesday, March 7, at the Villa Elementary-7:30

Adjourned: 8:35pm

Board members present:

  • President                        Frank Ruth (10/13)                                    703-273-7641
  • Vice President                  Andrew Pershing (10-13)                            703 216-0497
  • Treasurer                        Dennis Makurat (10/12)                               703-383-0233
  • Secretary                        Cheryl Lewis (10/13)                                   703-385-1041
  • Member                          Jen Weigel (10/13)                                     703-309-7446
  •  

Absent:

Member                                    Ray Tolbert (10/12)                                    703-272-3450

Member                                    Justin Ginsberg  (10/12)                     

EARC                                        Gail Contreas

Respectfully submitted,

 

Cheryl Lewis

Cheryl Lewis

2/4/12

 

Semi Annual Meeting – October 2011

 

University Square Homeowners Association

Semi Annual/General Meeting Notes

http://universitysquareha.com

Face book: University Square Homeowners Association

October 5, 2011  @ The Villa Elementary School

Call to Order 7:35 pm

 

Minutes of last meeting accepted

 

Treasurer’s Report:  

  • Trash expense went down. We are in the black and we are in good financial shape

 

Neighborhood Watch Report:            

  • The National Night Out was a success, thanks to all who helped and attended
  • PROTECT

 

Old Business

* Discussion on GMU roads is continuing. Next community meeting is October 14th at City Hall           

New Business

*            Board member’s were reelected

*          Discussion on putting little flags on the curb grass in front of everyone’s homes on holidays like the Villa does. Nita Chapuranwill check into cost. We could make available to any  neighbors that want them, as it is a personal decision.

 

From the Floor discussion:

Deer hunt to help thin the herd around the neighborhood

Community yard sale sponsored by sponsored by ADK (Alpha Delta Kappa) Sorority on 10/22. Proceeds go to scholarship for future teachers.

 

Adjourned: 8:55pm

Board members:

President                        Frank Ruth (10/13)                                703-273-7641

Vice President                Andrew Pershing (10-13)                        

Treasurer                        Dennis Makurat (10/12)                        703-383-0233

Secretary                        Cheryl Lewis (10/13)                              703-385-1041

Member                        Jen Weigel (10/13)                                    

Member                        Ray Tolbert (10/12)                                  703-272-3450

Member                        Justin Ginsberg  (10/12)                      

 

ERAC                                    Gail Contreras                                    703 352-8109

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Cheryl Lewis

Cheryl Lewis

10/30/11

 

Board Meeting – September 2011

 

University Square Homeowners Association

Monthly Board Meeting Notes

http://universitysquareha.com

Face book: University Square Homeowners Association

September 6, 2011 Home of President Frank Ruth

 

Call to Order 8:03 pm

 

Treasurer’s Report:  

*            A spreadsheet was handed out showing that our cash balance is over $50,000.  We however, have $16,000 net revenue less expenses.  Therefore it was agreed not to raise dues at this time. We will readdress this issue next year.

*            We only have 2 homes in arrears for paying their dues at this time.

 

Neighborhood Watch Report:            

*            The National Night Out was a success, thanks to all who helped and attended.

 

Old Business

*            GMU Road construction is years away. Nothing is happening now other than talk.

 

New Business

*            Board member elections will be held; ballots will be mailed later this week.

*         Discussed tree problems in common area. Dead trees will be felled in 2 weeks.

*          It was suggested that we put little flags on the curb grass in front of everyone’s homes on holidays like the Villa does. This will be an agenda item for the semi annual meeting in October.

*        Semi annual membership meeting will be at Fairfax Villa School Library 7:30pm on Wednesday Oct 5, 2011

 

Adjourned: 8:55pm

Board members:

President                        Frank Ruth (10/13)                                    703-273-7641

Vice President                  Andrew Pershing (10-11)                            703 216-0497

Treasurer                        Dennis Makurat (10/12)                             703-383-0233

Secretary                        Cheryl Lewis (10/11)                                  703-385-1041

Member                        Jen Weigel (10/11)                                      703-309-7446

Member                        Ray Tolbert (10/12)                                     703-272-3450

Member                        Justin Ginsberg  (10/12)                               703-738-6339

 

ERAC                                    Gail Contreras                                    703 352-8109

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Cheryl Lewis

Cheryl Lewis

9/10/11

 

Board Meeting – June 2011

 

University Square Homeowners Association

Monthly Meeting Notes

http://universitysquareha.com

face book: University Square Homeowners Association

Board Meeting

June 8, 2011 Home of President Frank Ruth

 

Call to Order 8:14pm

 

No minutes to review from April as some board members went to community meeting regarding GMU road plans.

           

EARC Report:  Several driveways’ going in. We need to inform neighbors that they have to get EARC approval before they do any improvements or changes to the exterior of the house.  Gail addressed graffiti and neighbors got it off the house.

We still need to walk around and ask neighbors to keep up their exterior appearance.

           

Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer was absent, but sent in a report.

There are four houses still in delinquent paying dues; two houses are paying off amount owed.

 

Neighborhood Watch Report: Our appeal to the Villa president to join together for National Night Out went on deaf ears.  We will have our NNO in Bellavia Ln 6pm – 7:30 pm Aug 2. Neighbors from Villa are invited to attend. We have ordered plastic signs, we will have information tables, ice cream, lemonade and water. Volunteers needed and appreciated.

 

Old Business

Ray will provide treasurer with thumb drives to save all documents to as a back up.

 

New Business

1. A newsletter will be attached to a copy of ERAC guidelines and will be hand delivered to every home.

There are some language changes that need to be made to ERAC guidelines. However,  It was agreed to table the discussion for a year.

 

Adjourned: 9:00pm

 

 

Board members present:

President                        Frank Ruth (10/13)                                   

Secretary                       Cheryl Lewis (10/11)                       

Member                        Ray Tolbert (10/12)                       

Member                        Justin Ginsberg                                   

ERAC                            Gail Contreras  & Patrick Tomlinson                                 

Absent:

Vice President            Andrew Pershing (10/11)                       

Treasurer                        Dennis Makurat (10/12)                       

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Lewis

6/11/11

 

Board Meeting – April 2011

University Square Homeowners Association

Monthly Meeting Notes

http://universitysquareha.com

face book: University Square Homeowners Association

Board Meeting

April 5, 2011 Home of President Frank Ruth

 

Call to Order 8:09pm

 

Review of Minutes from March : Approved

           

EARC Report:  Gail will canvass neighborhood when the weather is better. Ray reported that the red Mustang on Santa Clara Dr. that has flat tires, parked on the curb, will be gone soon.  “HI” graffiti on the house at the corner of La Marre/Verde Vista will be readdressed with owners who do not speak English, but the children do. We are looking for someone who might be able to interpret.

           

Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer was absent, but sent in a report. We have collected a long overdue debt. There are 24 houses in arrears totaling $6028.00.   Letters will go out soon.

 

Neighborhood Watch Report: We are appealing to the Villa president to join together for National Night Out. Neighbors were very pleased when we did it before.

 

Old Business

GMU Road construction is years away. Nothing is happening now other than talk.

 

New Business

1.We need a periodic newsletter. Looking for volunteers to compose one

2.Web page: Post newsletter, agenda’s for meetings, suggested adding a counter to see how many people actually check the web page

3.Suggested that we have a back up of treasury records and accounts. Board approved buying a thumb drive for this purpose, to be stored in Board Member Ray Tolberts’ home safe. This is just a precaution and is fiducially responsible

 

Adjourned: 8:48pm

 

Board members present:

President                        Frank Ruth (10/13)                                    703-273-7641

Secretary                        Cheryl Lewis (10/11)                        703-385-1041

Member                        Jen Weigel (10/11)                                    703-309-7446

Member                        Ray Tolbert (10/12)                        703-272-3450

Member                        Justin Ginsberg                                    703 738-6339

ERAC                                    Gail Contreras                                    703 352-8109

Absent:

Vice President            Andrew Pershing (10/11)                        703-216-0497

Treasurer                        Dennis Makurat (10/12)                        703-383-0233

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Lewis

4/11/11

 

 

Semi Annual Meeting – March 2011

University Square Homeowners Association

Semi Annual Meeting Notes

http://universitysquareha.com

face book: University Square Homeowners Association

3/2/2011

 

The President called the meeting to order at 7:36 p.m. at The Villa Elementary Library

Introductions and welcome to new homeowners were made.

 

Minutes of the Last Meeting

  • The minutes of the February 1, 2011 board meeting were reviewed and approved.

 

EARC Report: Gail Contreras

  • Gail Contreras, EARC Chairperson will give neighbors gentle, benevolent reminders to infractions. This effort seems to be most effective and does not create hard feelings.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Dennis Makurat

  • The HOA currently has $44k in accounts plus $10k CD
  • We are in good financial shape
  • Trash rate was down, but anticipate a rate hike due to soaring fuel costs
  • 70 homes still owe dues from October; reminder letters will go out

 

Neighborhood Watch

  • NW was explained to new home owners, and offer to add names with email to list serve to receive news briefs and other Neighborhood Watch information was made
  • National Night Out will be 1st Tuesday of August. A plea was made for volunteers. Cheryl will invite the Villa neighborhood to combine our NNO’s. This was done twice in the past and was very successful
  • Neighbors were cautioned about leaving GPS’s, IPOD’s and other items in cars as it is an open invitation for a smash and grab
  • Police ask neighbors to be vigilant and call anything suspicious in. If you hear car alarms in a parking lot or at home, call it in. This is how crime rings are broken up
  • Neighborhood Watch training at Police Station will be April 20 at 7PM
  • Please see Face Book Page for updates
  • All are invited to Citizens Advisory Committee meetings last Tuesday of each month at Fair Oaks Police Station where you will hear from our Captain, and guest speakers. Meeting lasts no more than an hour and start at 7PM.

 

Old Business: President advised we have a full HOA Board

New Business:

Regarding George Masons Proposed Western Bypass:

  • Town hall meeting on George Mason University’s Proposed Western Bypass will be March 28 Time: 7:30 p.m.

Location: Fairfax Villa Elementary School

Frank Ruth will make a flyer to distribute to neighborhood to encourage attendance. The flyer will also be e-mailed out, and posted on line.

  • VDOT website has a place for citizens to voice their concerns regarding roadwork.

 

From the floor:

If any neighbor would like to help VP Pershing with nomination committee, please contact him.

Bertha Mcclintock stated she has 2 trees in the common area that are hollowed out, FYI.

Ray Tolbert suggested neighbors check siding and roof for wind damage

Drainage construction on SCD/Bellavia is ongoing

 

Next board meeting that all are invited to attend: April 29 at 8:00PM  at Franks house

 

A motion was made to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 pm.  It was unanimously approved.

 

Directors Present:

Frank Ruth             President        703 273-7641

Andrew Pershing        VP            703 216-0497

Dennis Makurat        Treasurer        703 383-0233

Cheryl Lewis            Secretary        703 385-1041

Ray Tolbert            Member        703 272-3450

Justin Ginsberg        Member        703 738-6339

Gail Contreras        EARC            703 352-8109

Absent:

Jen Weigel            Member        703 309-7446

Patrick Tomilson        EARC            703 615-0176

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Cheryl Lewis         8 March 2011